Friday, June 8, 2012

Singapore: Universal Studios Singapore

In my recent trip to Singapore I included Universal Studios Singapore in my itinerary as I wanted to see what the fuss was about. A lot of people seemed to talk about the Transformers 3D ride, and I had never been to a theme park before, at least not outside Genting Highlands in Malaysia. So I planned to spend at least half a day in Universal Studios Singapore (USS) on the last day of my trip to Singapore.

Since the school holidays in Singapore was starting during the time of my trip, the price of my ticket was SGD 74. Usually during week day, it is SGD 68, but that was OK. There's nothing much I can do about it in this case, as the school holidays is not something I can control!

I made my way to USS via the MRT. I took the MRT from Novena (I was staying at Value Nice hotel in Balestier) and took it to Harbourfront MRT. There I followed the directions in the MRT station/Mall up to about the 3rd floor where I took the Sentosa Express for SGD 3 all the way to Beachfront stop where I got down. The SGD 3 price included the a return Sentosa Express ticket and the entrance fee to Sentosa Island.


It was easy to locate the spinning globe which was the logo of USS. I bought my ticket at the ticket booth and went inside. I targeted to do the Transformers ride, the Jurassic Park rapids water ride and the Shrek 4D show, walk around and have some tea time snacks.

Based on the reports of long queus, I quickly made a beeline towards the Sci-Fi city where Transformers 3D was at. Thankfully there was a Single Rider line, and I quickly went to it and managed to get on the 1st car available on the ride. If you were on the other lines, it will take at least 20 minutes. Of course, I was very greatful I was there on my own today as it made things very quick for me - I also managed to go on the ride a 2nd time. You will pick up your 3D glasses during the line.



After you get strapped on to the car on the Transformers Ride 3D, you are automatically transported into this virtual reality world where big Transformers fight it out. *Spoiler Alert* You will experience things being thrown at you, hurtling down tall buildings, and large robot creatures coming at you full force. The car seat you are in will rock to simulate the 3D experience. It is most definitely enjoyable and recommended and worth all the fuss.

After the Transformers ride, I went for the Jurassic Park Water Rapids ride thing which was just ok. You sit in a boat and experience a very minor rapids with dinosaurs from Jurassic Park around you. I didnt think this was for adults as it was mostly animatronic dinosaurs moving around and roaring. You WILL get wet so please bring a raincoat to USS or you will have to buy it for SGD 3. Lockers are available for rent to keep your things at a hideously expensive price - SGD 4 per hour.



The Shrek 4D Movie was a lot more fun - we sat in a chairs and they showed a nice 15 minute movie featuring Shrek, the Donkey, Fiona and the rest of the usual Shrek cast, only there are 4D effects! To explain what the 4D experience is, it means that you actually get to feel some of the scenes in the movie for e.g. wind blowing at you, water being sprinkled on you, the chairs rocking to simulate horse riding etc. It was certainly my first 4D experience and was very fun.


I went on the Madagascar Crate Barrel water adventure but it was kind of boring to me and it was just the same as the Jurassic Park Water ride. Super boring, and it was meant for kids below 12 I think. Animatronic statues of the characters just moving about. To kill time I also went for the Lights Camera Action by Steven Spielberg show that demonstrates how special effects are done in studios. That was quite interesting and I think I would recommend it if you have 15 minutes to kill.

Drinking fountains are available everywhere to refill your water bottles and you ARE allowed to go out of the park to eat decent food outside at Resorts World and come back. I guess comparatively speaking the food in the park is not that expensive - SGD 9 per sandwhich, SGD 6 a cappucinno as it is about the same price outside in a shopping mall, but I usually eat at hawkerstalls so it was a bit pricey for me. My usual meal will come up to about SGD 6 in total, so to spend SGD 9 on a sandwich without drinks is kind of pricey for me.


All in all it was an OK experience. I've never been to "branded' theme park before, and I wanted to check it out so it was fine for 1 time. I don't think I will be making another visit though. In total I only spent 2.5 hours there. I left and watched a hollywood movie at the cinema in Vivocity!

To read more about other attractions in Singapore, click here

Attraction Details: Universal Studios Singapore




No comments:

Post a Comment