Friday, June 1, 2012

Singapore: Value Hotel Nice

I found this hotel via Tripadvisor or Agoda after browsing numerous weeks for the best value deal there was in Singapore. See, I am on a budget but I do not want to share my room with backpackers or sleep in a dorm. Thankfully, I managed to find this Value Hotel Nice on Balestier, which was a godsend.

Through online booking about 2 weeks before, I managed to get a rate of about SGD 86 (tax inclusive) a night which was cheap by Singaporean standard for a room. The last time I stayed at Hotel 1929 in Chintown, it was SGD 145 (tax not inclusive) for a Single Room with a Single bed, which was a lot smaller than the room I got at Value Hotel Nice - (Standard Room). Booking by the hotel website was a breeze. They will only charge the card when you get there, not on the time of booking.

The room was located on the second floor and did not have a window, being the cheapest room available. It had a double bed, a TV with only selected channels (2 sports channel, a movie channel, and a new channel), a phone, a bathroom, coffee making machine, hairdryer, toiletries and towels. Most important thing for me is privacy and I ran around Macritchie Reservoir Park for about 2.5 hours and had no mood to share a bathroom. Was extremely happy I booked the place that I booked.

The food at Whampoa Food centre was only so-so for me. The food seemed a little bland for me - that's the only downside of staying here. It is open fror Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. There was a 'zhang' rice dumping shop that opens 24 hours downstairs of the hotel, and it had a few 7-Eleven nearby. I also spotted a Mcdonalds about 500m away. There is no restaurant attached to the hotel itself.
The staff was friendly and helpful with any questions. Wifi was free with any online booking. Technically, Novena MRT is the closest to Balestier Road, but it has no busses that serves Balestier. I dont think you would want to walk from Novena to Balestier Road as it is quite far.

To get to Value Hotel Nice:
To get to the hotel, take the MRT from wherever you are and stop at Newton MRT (not Novena MRT) and exit via exit A. Take bus 124 and stop at Balestier Road. You'll know you've arrived when the bus makes a sharp left turn and you see Quality Hotel Marlow on your left. Press the button and get down at the first stop near Quality Hotel Marlow.

You are now opposite Value Hotel Balestier. Not Value Hotel Nice.

Now cross the street towards Value Hotel Balestier, turn left, and walk about 500m. You will then see Value Hotel Nice and the hotel's signboard soon. Along the way you will pass an Animal Recovery Hospital and Whampoa Drive (that leads to Whampoa Food Court).

To get to the MRT from Value Hotel Nice
Bus 124 stops right outside the hotel heading towards the Newton MRT. It doesnt stop here from the MRT. It will pick you up from the Hotel, go straight about 500m, passing Value Hotel Balestier, and make a sharp right at the traffic light. Then it goes straight about 20 minutes to Newton MRT.

The bus fare costs SGD 1.10 using cash but you can also get the Singapore Tourist Pass at selected MRT stations.

In summary I will most definitely stay here again simply because I cannot find a better deal for a private room than Value Hotel Nice. If I can get an equivalent rate at Value Hotel Balestier, I might stay there just because it is nearer to the bus stop from the MRT. I would say Value Hotel Nice was better value than the' uber-cool' 1929 at Chinatown.

Hotel: Value Hotel - Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment