Monday, July 23, 2012

Others: International Driving Permit Malaysia

This post is for Malaysians wanting to drive overseas, not foreigners wishing to drive in Malaysia.


I needed to get an International Driving Permit as I will be driving in South Africa in about 1 month's time. I wanted to detail out the application process I used as I found that there are limited resources on the web about getting this Driving Permit. It is applicable to all the major countries around the world, and all the not so major ones as well; US, UK, Australia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Namibia, Botswana....and South Africa.

So what you need to do is prepare 2 passport photographs, and photocopy your driver's license and your IC and go to the nearest AAM branch where you live. I prefer to go to AAM to avoid any bureaucratic issues that might arise if I go to JPJ. It even says that you need to leave your current driving license at JPJ and collect it back after you are done with the IDP because "you cant have 2 driving licenses". Well I refuse, and I prefer to go to AAM.

For a non-member, you need to pay RM 180 in total for a year as at 2012. The whole process only took about 10 minutes, and they will ask you to fill up their own special AAM form and not the JPJ LDL1 form or whatever. You can renew it after 1 year if you like.





No comments:

Post a Comment