Thursday, July 12, 2012

Penang: Old Penang Guesthouse

I went to Penang during the weekday on the last week of June, with the intention of visiting the Penang National Park and doing a hiking route up Penang Hill. However, I fell sick after a trip to Taman Negara but decided to push on to Penang anyway, as I had already purchased all the tickets and booked my hotel. However, my activity list had to change as I would not be doing any kind of trekking or climbing. :)

I chose Old Penang Guesthouse because I was on a budget and because of the good reviews it had received on Hostelworld. It was located on a quaintly-named Love Lane (apparently it is called Love Lane as it used to be a street where mistresses were kept and lovers had trysts). I took a cab from Queensbay Mall where I was dropped off from Aeroline Bus and it cost me RM 30 ( which I know was slightly overpriced as the return taxi ride was only RM 25).

I was given 2 different rooms on 2 different days as I made my reservations seperately. That was fine - I knew what I had booked. The first room (double room, shared bathroom) downstairs was just ok. It was kind of small and located at the back of the guesthouse. It had a towel hanger, air conditioning, a bed lamp, room lamp and a queen bed. I was provided with a towel and had to pay about RM 15 for the towel and the key, which was returned when I checked out.

 Upstairs alley:


On the second night, I was given an upstairs room and this room was much better. It had a single bed, but much more space and even a rug, together with a bedside table. It also felt much newer as well. The upstairs floors had also a bathrooms to be shared and the toilet was clean and it seemed like it was washed almost every hour I was there !!





Things to Do and Eat:
It had a nice relaxing ambience and after I did my sightseeing I would sit at the tables down stairs to use the internet. There's TV and a computer provided with internet for the guests. If you walk out to the mainroad you will most definitely find eateries to eat at night - from Cendol to Lok Lok, to Wan Tan Mee, to freshly cut fruits, so no worries on that front. I am sure you dont want to eat backpacker westernised crap!! There is also a backpacker's pub 2 doors away for those who favour a drink.

Staying in the UNESCO Core Heritage area means that most attractions are within walking distance of Love Lane. For example, Armenian Street, Muntri Street, Cheong Fatt Tze mansion, Chinatown, Penang Museum, Fort Cornwallis.
Beautiful restored buildings around Love Lane:

 

The area surrounding Love Lane is also quite interesting -  I found an interesting temple and building nearby below on Muntri Lane and Jimmy Choo's first apprenticeship!



All in all this is a good area to be in. I would stay in another location next time but only because I like some variety in where I stay. For additional pictures of Georgetown, click here.

Hotel Details: Old Penang Guesthouse
Hotel Website: oldpenang.com

No comments:

Post a Comment